* This product has special ordering requirements, listed at the bottom of this page.
Organic Purple Barley
Collected in 1924 by an American visiting Tibet, this heirloom variety of hulless colored barley was brought back to the United States and tucked away for many years in the USDA Seed Repository in Idaho as PI 60205. Pat Hayes of Oregon State University heard about this grain from his colleagues Victoria and Tom Blake at Montana State University, who had named it “Karma”. Tom Hunton, of Huntons' Farm, saw Pat’s test plots, liked what he saw, and increased seed stock of Karma at his farm in Junction City.
Our current crop of Organic Purple Karma Barley was grown on Agency Lake Farm in Chiloquin, Oregon, a Certified Organic family farm. Though not gluten-free, barley is lower in gluten than wheat, and offers a higher level of fiber.
This is a highly nutritious grain with more zinc than lentils and three times more B vitamins than White Barley. It cooks in about 45 minutes and imparts a dark color to the cooking liquid.
We recommend sorting through before cooking and discarding any kernels of white barley that may be present (as their hulls make them tough).
Comes in a 25 pound bag.
Organic Purple Karma Barley
* Bulk Pantry Products: Ordering Information
- Only available for store pickup at Re-Up in Oakland (sorry, no delivery)
- Bulk Pantry orders placed by 4:00 PM on Wednesday will be available for store pickup starting the following Wednesday (seven days later)
- We can hold your product for one week – please come by within seven days of its arrival during Re-Up open hours
- Please note, adding this product will require you to select store pickup at checkout. If you have any non Bulk Pantry items in your cart that you would like delivered, please place that order separately